|Innovating The Next Big Thing||May 4, 2016|
• Climate Change: Causes and Solutions
• Energy Insights
• Solar and Wind Energy
• Fuel Cells and The Hydrogen Economy
• Nuclear Power
• Fossil Fuels
• Bio and Alternative Fuels
• Geothermal, Hydro and Tidal Power
• Reader Reactions
• Energy Events
• Over the River
International Renewable Energy Conference (WIREC 2008) - Washington, DC,
USA - 1-7 March 2008.
• Alt Energy
Global Warming Visuals Often Distort Scientific Data: Graphics used in the climate change debate are often manipulated to exaggerate or minimize the significance of information
Mar 3, 2008 – By Diane Carol Bast, Heartland Institute
A new study on the use of visual exhibits in the global warming debate--a tactic employed regularly by former Vice President Al Gore in his film, An Inconvenient Truth--reveals how graphs, charts, and other images can be accurate and still skew data to support a partisan view.
“Understanding Visual Exhibits in the Global Warming Debate” notes graphics are an integral component of the national discussion on climate change. They convey vast amounts of complex information in a way that is easily understood ... and easily manipulated.
Author Ronald J. Rychlak notes, “Advocates have ‘packaged’ their evidence with charts, graphs, and other visual exhibits designed to have maximum impact with minimal effort on the part of the public. The manipulation of visuals--bar and line graphs, pie charts, even photographs--has proven to be a highly effective way to offer up scary scenarios ... and it is easily done.
“The differences in layout can render an exhibit either informative or misleading,” Rychlak writes. “For that reason, court proceedings subject exhibits to a determination of whether they are probative or merely prejudicial.” Rychlak is MDLA Professor of Law and associate dean for academic affairs at the University of Mississippi School of Law.
No similar standards govern the visuals used in the global warming debate. Climate change alarmists often misrepresent data, misleading the public and describing a “reality” unsupported by science. Visuals have been used, for example, to make minuscule increases in temperature or greenhouse gas emissions look dramatic, or to make polar bears appear “stranded” on ice floes. Such tactics do little to further the process of honest inquiry, Rychlak notes.
“If we are to make wise decisions, we have to understand the evidence,” said Rychlak. “However, as words can be misused by an advocate, charts, graphs and even photos can be misused by their creators. This can lead to confusion in a time when clarity is essential.”
“Understanding Visual Exhibits in the Global Warming Debate,” Heartland Policy Study No. 115, is available for free online at http://www.heartland.org/article.cfm?artId=22829. The printed report is available for $10 by calling The Heartland Institute at 312/377-4000.
» Send this article to a friend...
» Comments? Tell us what you think...
» More Climate Change: Causes and Solutions articles...
Support This Site
• 10/17 TechnologyInnovator Group of Publications Going into Hibernation!
• 3/4 Innovation Insights: The Bloom Box's Disruptive Potential
• 3/2 Datamonitor: Greener-homes strategy will face key challenges
• 2/25 Datamonitor: Google: managing its energy demand is the key to a low-cost supply
• 2/25 Datamonitor: Centrica: unfair criticism for record profits
• 12/13 From Climategate to Copenhagen: Time for a Far Northern Perspective
• 12/13 My Turn: Opportunity in a post-Arctic world
• 11/15 The End of the World as We Know It?
• 11/12 Northern Journey of the Olympic Torch Warms the Heart of Arctic Communities
• 10/28 An Ice-Free Boom
• 10/13 Announcing: Arctic Doom, Arctic Boom: Geopolitics of Climate Change in the Arctic
• 2/15 Geopolitics, Climate Change, and the Fate of the Arctic
• 11/10 Heritage Web Memo: The Global Response to a Terror-Generated Energy Crisis
• 10/30 Heritage Web Memo: The New Cold War: Reviving the U.S. Presence in the Arctic
• 5/22 Experts Say High Prices of Oil Are Here to Stay
• 4/20 Atlantis Rising: The upside of global warming -- as climate change melts polar ice, a new world emerges
• 4/14 Security Insights: In Las Vegas, Green Means More than Money
• 3/11 Rights Group Cites Plight of Minorities Hit by Climate Change
• 3/4 Famed Hurricane Forecaster William Gray Predicts Global Cooling in 10 Years
• 3/4 Networks Ignore, Newspapers Mock N.Y. Climate Change Conference
• 3/4 Report No. 3 from the Global Warming Conference in New York City
• 3/4 New York Global Warming Conference Issues 'Manhattan Declaration'
• 3/3 Report No. 2 from the Global Warming Conference in New York City
• 3/3 New York Daily News Profiles Climate Change Conference Speaker
• 3/3 Former Thatcher Adviser Warns Global Warming Alarmism 'Kills People If You Get the Science Wrong'
• 3/3 Earth Liberation Front Launches Eco-Terror Plot in Suburban Seattle
• 3/3 Policy Study: Understanding Visual Exhibits in the Global Warming Debate
• 3/3 Global Warming Visuals Often Distort Scientific Data: Graphics used in the climate change debate are often manipulated to exaggerate or minimize the significance of information
• 3/3 Report No. 1 from the Global Warming Conference in New York City
• 3/2 Opening Remarks to the 2008 International Conference on Climate Change
• 3/2 Nature, Not Human Activity, Rules the Climate: Summary for Policymakers of the Report of the Nongovernmental International Panel on Climate Change
• 3/2 Global Warming is Real: Dispatches from the International Conference on Climate Change
• 2/28 Czech President Klaus to Attend Climate Conference in New York
• 2/26 Doomsday Seed Vault Opens in Arctic
• 2/25 Flying on Empty: That's the potential doomsday scenario if fuels that cost less and pollute less than oil can't be found. Coconut oil, anyone
• 2/25 Climate Change: African farmers not to blame
• 2/25 Commentary: Climate change, melting-ice and Caribbean waves
• 2/25 It's Coconut Airways
• 2/25 Biofuels: 'Green gold' or problems untold?
• 2/25 Forget Global Warming: Welcome to the new Ice Age
• 2/25 Chilling Effect: Global warmists try to stifle debate
• 2/20 Scientists Say Wondrous New Species Found Off Antarctica
• 2/10 Almost All Biofuels Used Today Make Global Warming Worse
• 2/8 Ethanol Blues: Biofuels increase global warming more than oil
• 2/7 Clearing Land for Biofuels Makes Global Warming Worse
• 2/1 Sea Unicorns Involved in Arctic Sea Study
• 1/23 Scientists Chart Life on Antarctic Ocean Floor
• 1/6 The Greening of CES: Is this year's Consumer Electronics Show going to be the largest carbon-neutral event in the world?
• 12/17 Bali Roadmap Officially Kicks Off New Round of Climate Change Negotiations
• 12/12 Scientists Fear Amazon May Face Early Destruction